Book Review | Bone Crier's Moon (Bone Grace #1) by Kathryn Purdie

Bone Crier's Moon (Bone Grace #1) by Kathryn Purdie
Bone Crier's Moon by Kathryn Purdie

The first book in the Bone Grace series.

Bone ​Criers have a sacred duty. They alone can keep the dead from preying on the living. But their power to ferry the spirits of the dead into goddess Elara’s Night Heavens or Tyrus’s Underworld comes from sacrifice. The gods demand a promise of dedication. And that promise comes at the cost of the Bone Criers’ one true love.

Ailesse has been prepared since birth to become the matriarch of the Bone Criers, a mysterious famille of women who use strengths drawn from animal bones to ferry dead souls. But first she must complete her rite of passage and kill the boy she’s also destined to love.

Bastien’s father was slain by a Bone Crier and he’s been seeking revenge ever since. Yet when he finally captures one, his vengeance will have to wait. Ailesse’s ritual has begun and now their fates are entwined—in life and in death.

Sabine has never had the stomach for the Bone Criers’ work. But when her best friend Ailesse is taken captive, Sabine will do whatever it takes to save her, even if it means defying their traditions—and their matriarch—to break the bond between Ailesse and Bastien. Before they all die. 

My Book Rating

🌕🌕🌕🌑🌑


My Book Review

I originally gave this 2,5 stars but decided on rounding it up to 3 stars, because honestly, it was a great story with an excellent premise, even if its execution wasn't exactly what I had in mind.
That doesn't mean, however, that someone else won't love this.

Bone Crier's Moon narrated the story of Sabine, Ailesse and Bastien. Sabine and Ailesse are Bone Criers, ferriers of the spirits to the afterlife. Those 'creatures' are called to kill their soulmates before they are able to take on their duties. Bastien's father was the victim of one of those 'White Ladies', and on his way to avenge him, his plans go sideways. Like, really sideways!

Honestly, the story and the Bone Criers' legend sound so interesting and intriguing, and the White Ladies sound so badass and right up my alley. Their magic is based on the bones they collect by killing three animals and taking on their most prominent power. Pretty controversial, if you ask me, and not exactly my favorite magic system, given that animal cruelty is a big no-no for me. However, it was unique to what I've read before and made me wonder whether the legend of those Dames Blanches actually exists.

Considering, the sole (POV-wise, but really, only one more boy was present in the book) male hero's plan to begin his quest for revenge but have his plan go way different, the plot would be warmly welcomed, if properly executed.

However, something felt missing regarding the writing style. I didn't really manage to connect with the story or the characters. In addition, the world-building felt a little bit lacking and while it was properly described, I felt like the focus was solely on Ailesse and Bastien. And, to be fair, I liked Sabine much more.

Which brings us to the characters, who felt somewhat unrealistic and flat to me. I was only rooting for Sabine, who was actively trying to save Ailesse throughout the book, although in some questionable ways. Ailesse felt more like a typical teenager with mother issues to me, while Bastien was... just there.

To be honest, my review might seem a little harsher than my actual thoughts on the book are.
I feel like the insta-love and predictability were too big throw-offs for me, but otherwise not a bad experience. Just not one that would make me to keep reading the series.


Find The Book Here
Amazon US
Book Depository for free INT'L shipping


Find The Sequel Here
Bone Crier's Dawn (Bone Grace #2)
Bone Crier's Dawn (Bone Grace #1) by Kathryn Purdie
Amazon US
Book Depository for free INT'L shipping




Join Scribd today and enjoy unlimited books for two months for free!

No comments:

Post a Comment